MESSAGEBOARD

Dear friends, Just wanted you all to know that I DONT USE FACEBOOK, ORKUT, SKYPE OR TWITTER most probably will never do that either........

Blogging is my hobby, i write because i love to write, till date I HAVE NOT USED MY BLOGS FOR ANY COMMERCIAL/BUSINESS PURPOSES. IF I DO IT IN FUTURE I WILL LET YOU KNOW.

Those of you who are my friends and want to leave some message for me can use my email id or better my blogs: http://agnitrisha.blogspot.com; http://suryagni.blogspot.com,; http://suryakana.blogspot.com;
i update these blogs once every month.

http://mydomainpvt.wordpress.com, http://magicthought.wordpress.com;
http://window2mysoul.wordpress.com
http://mycybernovels.wordpress.com
- i update these blogs almost everyday ................ sharmishtha basu (25.12.2010)

In the end, i always request my regular readers to just once read this blog post:

http://agnitrisha.blogspot.com/2009/08/trolls.html

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Gratitude

Gratitude, a divine word, but this feeling, and its expression should be measured for our own sake. Because this feeling is often used as a weapon of exploitation against a noble heart.

Every one has read the epic Ramayan, how Dashrath’s grateful nature resulted in his death pining for his beloved son. Those who have not, Dasharath was a great king, one of his queens once saved his life, he promised her that he will fulfill her three wishes. Then time passed by and time came when Dasharath was about to hand over his throne to his elder-most son, Sriram that very day the queen requested him to fulfill her three wishes, as a result Sriram went to forest and her son Bharat was made the king. Dasharath died pining for his beloved son in a very short span of time.

It’s a very true word, gratitude blesses the heart which holds it, I some how feel that a person without gratitude is hardly a human being. But, then again this feeling can be overwhelming, it can blind us from realizing selfish motives behind a petty act of kindness. I have often wanted to discuss the flip and the flop side of this coin.

Lets first take up the beautiful sides of this divine virtue which makes our soul beautiful, without which we somehow lack to be human being. It is often quoted as essence of humanity. It gives happiness not only to the person who does a good deed, it makes the person on the receiving end a happier person. Because by realizing the good deed and its beauty he relishes it twice.

On the other hand this is a virtue which can make us puppet in the hands of a scheming person. People who help others and in return of that help sometimes completely control their life. I am not talking on this topic based on assumptions, they are mostly based on my personal experiences, and experience of years.

I once personally knew a lady from intimate proximity, who used to give gifts to her own siblings as payment of services, or as advance payment of services. She used to give gifts after some one did her some service, or give some one a gift and immediately thereafter request that person to do some thing for her. Now, most of the people will execute that request out of gratitude. And usually her expectations were far more higher than the petty gifts she used to hand out. She used to control the very life of her hapless gift receivers, preying on their sense of gratitude. But can we call them gifts? Or shall we call it the price of those works? Or she never helped any one unless she extracted a bigger help in return of that help. Can we call these help?

So very often have I heard people boasting or stating to their close persons, that they have helped a person in his bad days so he is bound to help them anywhere, any time that I have started to believe that some people help others to enslave them. Do we help others to create a right on them for a pay back of that help? Its natural that we will expect some gratitude from a person we have helped, but why shall we expect return, or be more precise demand return? After all, a help is supposed to be an unselfish action, or else it will be called a paid service, not help.

I have seen a few persons actually doing like that in my life, heard a few more complaining about help that were not returned, but, there are high chances that there are more people like them. Who help others with the expectation that they have bound that person in a string of emotional or real obligation.

Some introspection and study of human nature has taught me one thing, which I don’t think a lot of people agree with, that is, its ok to not pay back every help. Or feel extremely grateful to every one who has helped us. I firmly believe that one should try his level best to not harm a person who has done him some good, but to feel overwhelmed by helps… well…

6 comments:

  1. I agree Trisha, when we give with the expectation of receiving something back, it's not 'true' giving. The thing is we always know when there is a price attached so our duty to our self is to walk away and listen to our hearts and intuition. I dislike it when people talk about their good deeds, while it's human to want recognition, this puts me on 'alert'. I also think our ability to receive graciously without feeling we have to give back is a healthy sign of acceptance and love for our self. Then we do something for that person, it's genuine and coming from the heart, not out of a sense of obligation or 'paying them back'.

    Love, Noreen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dearest noreen,
    here we agree again, when i was growing up i used to expect only one thing in return of gifts/services that was love and gratitude, after growing up i have stopped hoping that too forget about expectation.
    now i treat them as a God's blessing, that she has given me a chance to do something for any one.
    with lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sister, l also agree with both you and Noreen. When returning of a similar or better gift of my friend is a must requirement then I would consider it loan or trade not a gift.

    Dear sister, I'm glad to see we both share love of nature and also love of studying the human nature. Infact, It was my dream to study psychology but atleast I can study a little of it in your posts.

    Dear didi, your post reminds me of a few verses of the holy Quran, here is the translation of two of them:


    "O ye who believe! cancel not your charity by reminders of your generosity or by injury,- like those who spend their substance to be seen by men, but believe neither in Allah nor in the Last Day......" (a part of verse 264 chaptor:2, the holy Quran)

    "Those who spend their substance in the cause of Allah (God), and follow not up their gifts with reminders of their generosity or with injury,- for them their reward is with their Lord: on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve." (Quran, 2.262)

    Best Wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. dearest brother,

    thats great, i love to study human beings, that helps me to be content with my solitude too, :) .. its formal to say that i agree with your views, thanks a ton for the beautiful quotes. I hope you wont mind if i add them in my blogs "ambrosian thoughts" and two others.

    i will be waiting for story of muharram in your blog.

    with lots of affection,
    didi

    ReplyDelete
  5. didi, These quote are from translation of the holy Quran, and the Quran is for the whole world. So, you can certainly publish these quotes in your blog.

    didi, I am not only a reader of your posts but I am also a fan of your replies to your reader's comments.
    shukria!

    ReplyDelete
  6. dearest brother,
    the joy is mutual, i too am really happy to see the soft side of islam in your blogs. there is so much mist around islam and its preachings.. your blog is acting like sun to me.

    thanks for letting me use them. I love beautiful quotes.

    with lots of affection,
    didi

    ReplyDelete