MESSAGEBOARD

Dear friends, Just wanted you all to know that I DONT USE FACEBOOK, ORKUT, SKYPE OR TWITTER most probably will never do that either........

Blogging is my hobby, i write because i love to write, till date I HAVE NOT USED MY BLOGS FOR ANY COMMERCIAL/BUSINESS PURPOSES. IF I DO IT IN FUTURE I WILL LET YOU KNOW.

Those of you who are my friends and want to leave some message for me can use my email id or better my blogs: http://agnitrisha.blogspot.com; http://suryagni.blogspot.com,; http://suryakana.blogspot.com;
i update these blogs once every month.

http://mydomainpvt.wordpress.com, http://magicthought.wordpress.com;
http://window2mysoul.wordpress.com
http://mycybernovels.wordpress.com
- i update these blogs almost everyday ................ sharmishtha basu (25.12.2010)

In the end, i always request my regular readers to just once read this blog post:

http://agnitrisha.blogspot.com/2009/08/trolls.html

Friday, September 18, 2009

Mahalaya


Mahalaya

Mahalaya: well, the very word opens a barrage of sweet memories in mind. Those days back in childhood when we used to wake up to the ring of shrill alarm clocks and gather around the primitive transistor after quickly brush our teeth.. the morning sun was nowhere in the scene. The pure sky was studded with night diamonds sparkling in early winter.

Then the magical voice of birendra krishna bhadra boomed out of the transistor.. and a magical journey started for a bunch of children eagerly waiting for durgapuja. The greatest festival of bengalis. Which was to start from the sixth day of mahalaya.

Those who don’t know any thing about durgapuja, well, in ancient times a demon named mahishasura procured two boons from Brahma, one said he could change his forms and every form was immortal. Second one said that neither a man, a god or a demon can kill him. After procuring these two boons he went on rampage. So the Gods gave their powers and formed mother goddess durga.. and armed her up with their weapons. She killed mahishasura when he was changing his form from mahisha (buffalo) to asur (demon) on vijayadashami. The war started today, on mahalaya. This is why mahalaya is so much cherished by bengalis, its called the beginning of devipaksha (15 days of the goddess). On this day bengalis offer prayers for their parted ancestors. The banks of rivers are clustered with men offering their prayers to their ancestors..this is called tarpan.

To me mahalaya means magic of birendrakrishna bhadra, that person was one of the most genuine devotee of mother goddess, one listening to his program will convince any one that his soul, his entire being is behind those recitations. What a truly blessed soul.

I was addicted to his program, had to stop it after joining the first job.. then slowly I became lazy. But the ecstassy is still there.. I still remember listening to his program while the morning sky slowly turned to red.. promising the sun rise. Or that specific night when I stayed up all night because the only alarm clock was dead and I did not wanted to miss his recitation.


6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your views about "Mahalaya" with us all. We, all Bengali have sweet memories about this recitation as we were some day in our lives (at least I was), in the era of radio, renowned as "transistor" radio, as it had transistors it it. The wait was sweeter, much sweeter than the CD/DVDs of the same recitation we belong today, as the importance of the night before "Mahalaya", some of us, used to call "Himalaya", has been decreased as still decresing today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear sister, thank you for recalling your past memories. It should help me to know more about your beliefs.
    Wish all the best, trisha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. trisha, I am back on your blog again to tell that I am unable to keep myself away from your blog even on this very day of Eid ul fitr.
    Though there are big differences in our beliefs but the beautiful style of your writing, keeps me around.
    Allah Hafiz

    ReplyDelete
  4. dear shankha,
    yes.. that whole year wait for one morning was too sweet, i have downloaded the program and am listening to it every day now..:)

    there are certain things in bengali culture which means a lot to me.. this is one of them. i simply adore this program.

    ReplyDelete
  5. dearest brother,
    i love to read about other cultures, that is why i decided to share bengali culture (specially) in this blog..
    that is why i love your blog so much, because its teaching me a lot too.

    Eid Mubarak,
    Allah hafiz,
    didi

    ReplyDelete
  6. dearest brother,

    Thanks for your noble sweetness. You are a wonderful person, friend and brother.

    Its Allah's blessings to me that our paths crossed and a true jewel was gifted to me.

    Allah hafiz,
    didi

    ReplyDelete