MESSAGEBOARD

Dear friends, Just wanted you all to know that I DONT USE FACEBOOK, ORKUT, SKYPE OR TWITTER most probably will never do that either........

Blogging is my hobby, i write because i love to write, till date I HAVE NOT USED MY BLOGS FOR ANY COMMERCIAL/BUSINESS PURPOSES. IF I DO IT IN FUTURE I WILL LET YOU KNOW.

Those of you who are my friends and want to leave some message for me can use my email id or better my blogs: http://agnitrisha.blogspot.com; http://suryagni.blogspot.com,; http://suryakana.blogspot.com;
i update these blogs once every month.

http://mydomainpvt.wordpress.com, http://magicthought.wordpress.com;
http://window2mysoul.wordpress.com
http://mycybernovels.wordpress.com
- i update these blogs almost everyday ................ sharmishtha basu (25.12.2010)

In the end, i always request my regular readers to just once read this blog post:

http://agnitrisha.blogspot.com/2009/08/trolls.html

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

bankimchandra: emperor of bengali literature

Not a very popular writer, if we count by the number of people who read his works and will admit anonymously that they love his work.

I have picked up some odd writers because of my mother, who was an avid reader and had a uncommon taste. Bankimchandra is one of them. She just loved his works and so do I.

He was more like shakespeare, picking up the most exquisite words and painting a picture out of them. He was truly the emperor of classic bengali language.

I often feel awe struck, how could he use such exquisite word yet create fantastic novels and immemorable characters. Characters so real, like kundanandini or kapalkundala. Bhramar, Indira or Suryamukhi. Kapalkundala is my favourite character in fiction world.

The immense strength of character which this lady had I have never seen another lady with such strength of character. She embodied truth and honesty. Her fearless honesty is awe inspiring for any woman.

Just like I will never forget anandamath, durgeshnandini or bishabriksha… such fantastic usage of language yet such immemorable characters.

6 comments:

  1. A lot of thanks Trisha, for this post. I could not stop myself being the first to comment on.
    I am, sorry was, an avid reader too, and like many other people who believe that, if all works of Bengali can be translated into English, the English literature could have been much more enriched than it is now and people all over the world could have the taste, what they were and are missing in literature. A really enriched literature.

    Rishi Bankimchandra, renowned as the beginner of modern Bengali literature, had created milestones for the other writers to start from. His unforgettable works are nowadays, mostly unread by Bengali generation, can enrich them with the feel of proud to be a Bengali.

    I won't write much ... though I am feeling writing more on this. Still, last, but not the list... "Bande Mataram" the "Mantra" he used in his novel "Anandamath" eventually became the national anthem of India.

    Thanks again. :) And... sorry nothing new from me, but, it is really good to see a new post regularly on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just worship bankimchandra's writing skill.. i have read his works again and again.. yet i can never have enough of them.

    they can be compared with only one thing.. tajmahal.. beautiful beyond comparison without a single defect.

    i love bandemataram.. there was a time when i have memorized the entire song.. now i have forgotten after joining the first job i guess.. but i had it memorized from one end to the other end.

    his novels are magic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sister, Thanks for writing about your favourite writer: Bankimchandra. This post also helps me to know more about your reading "menu".

    Thank you di di !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dear friend, I back up Shankha in that if Indian and Bengali literatute could be translated at least into English, World's literature would be largely enriched.

    And I just loved the way you discribed Shakespear, picking up the most exquisite words and painting a picture out of them.

    An admirer of Shakespear and your writings,

    S

    ReplyDelete
  5. dearest brother,
    i dont read any thing serious.. thats in gist :) you can check my blog idle heart to know my light choices..
    didi

    ReplyDelete
  6. dear s,
    yes, i agree if sanskrit and bengali literature is properly translated that will be a great blessing to readers all over the world..i cant imagine a childhood without hundreds of books (in multiple languages) translated in bengali by wonderful authors.. they inspired me to learn english and check out on those books.

    i hope you dont compare my writing with shakespeare or any proclaimed writer..that will be called an outrageous flattery :)

    ReplyDelete