MESSAGEBOARD

Dear friends, Just wanted you all to know that I DONT USE FACEBOOK, ORKUT, SKYPE OR TWITTER most probably will never do that either........

Blogging is my hobby, i write because i love to write, till date I HAVE NOT USED MY BLOGS FOR ANY COMMERCIAL/BUSINESS PURPOSES. IF I DO IT IN FUTURE I WILL LET YOU KNOW.

Those of you who are my friends and want to leave some message for me can use my email id or better my blogs: http://agnitrisha.blogspot.com; http://suryagni.blogspot.com,; http://suryakana.blogspot.com;
i update these blogs once every month.

http://mydomainpvt.wordpress.com, http://magicthought.wordpress.com;
http://window2mysoul.wordpress.com
http://mycybernovels.wordpress.com
- i update these blogs almost everyday ................ sharmishtha basu (25.12.2010)

In the end, i always request my regular readers to just once read this blog post:

http://agnitrisha.blogspot.com/2009/08/trolls.html

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Criticism

Recently i was reading an article in Reader's Digest's website about real criticism, it was sort of eye opener to me. It told me what true criticism is made of.

The last part was done by a friend of mine who mentioned to me that Thomas Hardy (one of my favourite novelists) stopped writing novels because of harsh criticism and started to write poetry. In his case it must have been pure jealousy of mediocres or "big nothings".

Why sometimes we use criticism as a weapon of correction only? Its real motto should be pointing out someone's big defects and show him the way of conquering them.

Whats the use of telling a person that "your nose is too big" unless we are paying him for his cosmetic surgery, or he is in modelling and that is the reason he is not getting consignments.

I have worked as a proof reader for almost two years, i loved that job. Fortunately even after that when i read a piece of literature i ignore silly mistakes, because its not my job to point out silly mistakes. If I was a proof reader and that same piece was one of my assignments of the day I certainly would have pointed them out but as it is not ....

I sometimes really observe how different people look at the same thing, give the same piece of poetry to ten people and you will know.. one will say its too mushy, too dreamy; the second will be busy finding out spelling mistakes, third one will be scanning for rhythm, fourth will scan for punctuation faults.. in the process hardly one will absorb the true beauty of the poem. And that one person is luckiest among them.

When we see a flower do we scan for its perfection? Well being born and brought up in homes full of gardens I know, that most of the flowers are defected, by one mean or other, but we love them all. I personally believe that will be the way we should think about the rest of the world. We should try to concentrate on the beauty and ignore petty faults.

Sometimes we should ask the critic inside us to " just shut up and enjoy the world and let us do the same".

6 comments:

  1. "The people to fear are not those who disagree with you, but those who disagree with you and are too cowardly to let you know."

    Its true about criticism too isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the full post particulary the exmaple of poetry.
    I also think that we should certainly avoid useless critism and when we really want to suggest improvements, critcism should be done by those who are well aware of doing it with good manners.
    Dear sister, here is the link to my photo blog:
    www.LifeNatureAndMe.Blogspot.Com

    I have enabled the post comments link as well.
    Please visit comment and criticise my photos for I know your suggestions are always meant for improvement and they are never to disheart.
    With best wishes.
    Ibn Hanif

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear sister, Thank you very much for removing comment moderation on my request.

    ReplyDelete
  4. dearest brother,
    i have not removed the comment moderation, its still on for old posts :)

    i visited your picture blog and am happily posting my compliments on your pix.

    you know i too agree with you, i will criticise a person's work only if there is any need of doing so.. just as i said, if i get it on my table to be proofread i will be ruthless otherwise i wont waste my time counting the petals of a flower.

    we are soultwins.
    with lots of affection,
    didi

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete